Saturday, February 6, 2010

Los Angeles

When we landed in Los Angeles the temperature was in the low 60s and there was a gentle breeze with lots of rain. It felt so good to be in a warm climate. It is so refreshing to feel warm breeze against my face as opposed to the cold, dry, breezy-harsh spell that is cast over Baltimore right now.
But something I cannot explain to you is the emotion I felt as we were driving through L.A. today. I lost all sense of season. It made no sense to me that weather could exist like this in the month of February. It was something about the plants. The trees. The grass. The color of green. I love green (no matter what superstitions Bikram holds against the color, it is a beautiful color). The texture of the bark of the trees. The way the leaves blew in the wind. I don't know the names of these trees but I wish I did so that I could share them with you. I will try to go out and take pictures one day soon and post them on here so you may know what I am talking about. The trunk of the tree is almost a light brown/gray color. I think it all had such a profound effect on me because these things are so foreign to me... especially since I have been living in a colorless city since October

Then there were the houses. The architecture. Everything is so different. The buldings are very square, not very high, and have a stucco finish. And the color of the stucco varies: pink, gray, green, and all sorts of pale shades.

We went through a neighborhood and I saw three teenage boys walking home with backpacks on. They looked like they were probably 17 or 18 years old and it made me think what it would be like to have grown up in this area? Are these kids rich? Or are they just average kids? What kind of lives do they live? Everything is different here. The weather. The location. The food. And the clay tiling on the roofs of the houses. How is being a teenager here?

Well, enough brainstorming. I am currently getting ready to go to my first class here. 10 AM at Head Quarters. The center of the Bikram World, here in Los Angeles.

This will be Day 5, because I took off Friday, as it was my travel day.

I will post soon. I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment